[linux-lvm] Instability with 2.6, recovering (meta)data?

Alasdair G Kergon agk at uk.sistina.com
Mon Nov 10 13:09:01 UTC 2003

On Mon, Nov 10, 2003 at 05:46:15PM +0000, Toad wrote:
> With agk's help, I eventually found that this worked:
> vgcfgrestore vg-big -M1 -f /etc/lvm/archive/vg-big_00003.vg

LVM2 tools default to using a new improved metadata format.
To tell some tools to use the old LVM1 format of metadata, you need -M1.
(Most tools work it out for themselves, but some, like vgcreate
& vgcfgrestore still need to be told).

You can change the default choice for all tools back to the LVM1 format
in the config file with:
  global { format = "lvm1" }

Alasdair
agk at uk.sistina.com