[linux-lvm] LVM2 and whole disk booting

Alasdair G Kergon agk at uk.sistina.com
Mon Nov 24 17:47:01 UTC 2003

On Sun, Nov 23, 2003 at 12:30:54AM -0000, <hYdRo> wrote:
> I've noticed LVM2 PVs in a partition don't use the first sector, does
> this mean you can now put lilo in the first sector of a whole disk PV
> and boot from it?

New-style LVM2 PVs indeed store the LVM2 label in the second sector (1)
by default.  The sector used can be specified in the range 0-3 using
pvcreate --labelsector.  (The tools scan the first 4 sectors of
each device for an LVM2 label.)

So by default the first sector (0) is free for other uses such as booting.

Alasdair
agk at uk.sistina.com