[linux-lvm] LVM across network

Dan Sully daniel at electricrain.com
Thu Nov 27 09:53:01 UTC 2003

* Rickard Olsson <richie at webhackande.se> shaped the electrons to say...

> >  I  doubt  any  network  filesystem  will  allow  you to disconnect a
> >  machine  and still be able to operate.
>
> I have been eyeing Coda for a while now and it looks like it does
> exactly that. I'm not sure about the storage requirements, though. It
> appears it may need two full mirrors worth for the replication, but they
> can be spread out over a WAN if need be.
>
> http://www.coda.cs.cmu.edu/index.html

CODA is really dead. If you want a disconnected filesystem, check out
Intermezzo, which is part of the Linux kernel as well.

> iSCSI RAID, anyone?
>
> http://www.simplesan.com/products/iscsiarrays.htm

I picked up a NetDisk from Fry's over the past week and attempted to get it
to work. Unfortunately, the only Linux drivers they have right now are beta,
and only for Redhat 8 & 9 at that. Their "admin" tools require Tk (not on a
server!), and appear to be some hacked up version of their own code and net-snmp.

The windows drivers worked a bit better, but would say "Drive has been
disconnected" every so often, when nothing had changed physically.

Nice (and relatively cheap) idea, but their implementation has a way to go.

-D
--
It's only after you've lost everything that you're free to do anything.