[linux-lvm] create vg with same name as exported vg

Rich Turner rich at storix.com
Fri Oct 10 14:22:02 UTC 2003

LVM1 actually handled this very well. With LVM1 it would rename the VG,
appending "PV_EXP" to the VG name when exporting it. This essentially
would allow creating a new VG with the same original name. I am kind of
surprised this did not carry over to LVM2.

I understand that the easiest solution would be to not be in this
situation. Unfortunately, my company develops disaster recovery software
that allows users to create/re-create/migrate LVM disk configuration. We
need to be very careful about how we detect and create PV's/VG's.