[linux-lvm] LVM corruption

Carey Jung carey at itfreedom.com
Thu Oct 16 13:07:01 UTC 2003

It appears that  I have some kind of LVM corruption, and I can't figure out
how to locate it.  I started getting lots of EXT3 errors in
/var/log/messages, relating to lvm devices.  On one device in particular,
when I tried to copy a large quantity of data to it, I got the following
errors:

Oct 16 12:19:17 big kernel: EXT3-fs: mounted filesystem with ordered data
mode.
Oct 16 12:21:01 big kernel: EXT3-fs error (device lvm(58,17)):
ext3_new_block: Allocating block in system zone - block = 21856256
Oct 16 12:21:21 big kernel: EXT3-fs error (device lvm(58,17)):
ext3_new_block: Allocating block in system zone - block = 21856280

I first tried reformatting (mkfs) the partition, but afterwards got the same
errors.

I then tried deleting and recreating the logical volume, reformatting, and
copying again, and got the same errors on the brand new volume/filesystem.

I suspect that the problem is in the LVM layer, but I'm not aware of any
tools that will perform a consistency check on the entire lvm subsystem.
Anybody got any ideas?

This is lvm-1.0.3-4, stock redhat 7.3 rpm.  The raw devices on which the
physical extents reside are very large, nearly 2TB each (there are two).

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks,
Carey Jung