[linux-lvm] LVM ext3 support

David Johnston david at littlebald.com
Fri Oct 17 20:02:02 UTC 2003

On Fri, 2003-10-17 at 14:44, AJ Lewis wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 17, 2003 at 01:17:20PM -0500, anthony mayes wrote:
> > I am running Redhat 9 with kernel 2.4.20-20.9.  I am getting the
> > following errors when trying to mount an LVM snapshot:
> >
> > EXT3-fs: INFO: recovery required on readonly filesystem.
> > EXT3-fs: write access unavailable, cannot proceed.
> >
> > I saw a thread on redhat.com that said a kernel patch is needed.  My
> > question is where can I get the patch for this kernel, how do I install
> > it, and why isn't this built into the kernel in the first place?  Any
> > other suggestions are welcome.
>
> Looks like you don't have the VFS-lock patch installed. something like
> linux-2.4.20-VFS-lock.patch, but i don't know what it would be for
> Redhat's patched kernels.

I've run into this, too.  You have to umount the filesystem before you
make the snapshot, eg:
umount /home
lvcreate -L 1G -n homebak /dev/vg/home
mount /home

With XFS (which I haven't tested), you can run xfs-freeze to commit the
journal without umount, but with ext3 the only way to commit the journal
is to umount the filesystem...
--
David Johnston <david at littlebald.com>
Little Bald Consulting, LLC