[linux-lvm] Software mirror with LVM

Luca Berra bluca at comedia.it
Mon Sep 8 17:29:01 UTC 2003

On Sat, Sep 06, 2003 at 01:20:12PM +0800, Tan, Hong King wrote:
>Greetings,
>
>I am proposing a ML350 server with internal raid and another raid
>controller(Smart Array 5302) connected to StorageWorks Enclosure 4314.
>
>The internal raid is configured as RAID 1 across 2 drives and the external
>raid is configured as RAID 5 acroos 3 drives.
>
>Can I use LVM to perform a software mirror between the internal raid and
>external raid volumes or I would need 3-party software like Veritas
>Foundation Suite for Linux ?

no you cannot use lvm to do mirroring, you can do striping with it,
or just use space from the two storage to form a single volume group.
I would not mix internal and external storage anyway if i were in you.
if you need the space on a single server buy a server with more slots...

L.

Luca Berra -- bluca at comedia.it
        Communication Media & Services S.r.l.
 /"\