[linux-lvm] Inactive snapshot?

Jamey Kirby jkirby at storagecraft.com
Tue Sep 16 01:01:01 UTC 2003

Chuckle, chuckle, chuckle...

Jamey Kirby, Windows DDK MVP
StorageCraft Inc.
jkirby at storagecraft.com
http://www.storagecraft.com

-----Original Message-----
From: linux-lvm-admin at sistina.com [mailto:linux-lvm-admin at sistina.com] On
Behalf Of tester7 A.
Sent: Monday, September 15, 2003 10:42 PM
To: linux-lvm at sistina.com
Subject: [linux-lvm] Inactive snapshot?

A few questions and sugesstions regarding LVM2 snapshots.

1. Force active snapshot to be inactive and make it accessable.
It seems like inactive snapshot are not accesable at all. Inactive snapshots

does not update the changes, but it holds the changes while it was active,
so old data might be usefull.

Since, the LVM snapshots are not meant to stay long in the system and
delegrate the performance dramatically(according to my own BMT), I would
like to make the snapshot inactive at the some moment so that it does not
affect the I/O performacne, and also I would like to access the old data.

3. LVM2 snapshots are async?

Thanks in advance.