[linux-lvm] pvscan showing 0 free on all PV's.

Tupshin Harper tupshin at tupshin.com
Tue Sep 16 13:57:02 UTC 2003

Rene Olsen wrote:

>Now, why in the world does it show 0 free on all the PV's when a df told me that there
>were at least 260GB free on the lvm.
>
>Am I doing something wrong or ?
>
>Any help will be most appreciated.
>
>Best regards.
>
>Rene

df shows how much free space there is on the *filesystem*. Even if the
filesystem isn't full, it can occupy the entire lvm, which occupies the
entire volume group. If you have only one filesystem on the lvm, then
you may or may not have a problem, depending on what filesystem you are
using. If you are using ext2 or ext3, then you can probably do an
ext2resize to shrink it, followed by an lvreduce to reduce the size of
the partition that the filesystem lives on, but *DANGER* *DANGER*
*DANGER*. Reducing the size of an existing filesystem is inherently
dangerous, so back up, tread with caution, and don't blame me when a
meteorite flattens your house.

If you are using reiserfs, jfs, or xfs, you are probably out of luck, as
these filesystems don't currently support reduction.

-Tupshin