[linux-lvm] Disk crash - can't remove...

Kjetil H. Paulsen kjetil.paulsen at bouvet.no
Thu Sep 25 15:15:02 UTC 2003

Hi

One of the disks in my volume was destroyed, I really don't care about
the data but now I can't remove my volume group.
And I can't add the disks to other volumes either. Tried the UUID fixer,
but no luck :(
Any help appreciated... (using RH9 and LVM 1.0.3)

Pvscan:
pvscan -- reading all physical volumes (this may take a while...)
pvscan -- inactive PV "/dev/hdg"  is associated to unknown VG
"stuff_group" (run vgscan)
pvscan -- inactive PV "/dev/hdh" is in no VG  [114.50 GB]
pvscan -- inactive PV "/dev/hde"  is associated to unknown VG
"stuff_group" (run vgscan)
pvscan -- inactive PV "/dev/hdf"  is associated to unknown VG
"stuff_group" (run vgscan)
pvscan -- inactive PV "/dev/hda"  is associated to unknown VG
"stuff_group" (run vgscan)
pvscan -- inactive PV "/dev/hdb"  is associated to unknown VG
"stuff_group" (run vgscan)
pvscan -- total: 6 [296.77 GB] / in use: 5 [182.27 GB] / in no VG: 1
[114.50 GB]

Vgscan:
vgscan -- reading all physical volumes (this may take a while...)
vgscan -- ERROR "vg_read_with_pv_and_lv(): current PV" can't get data of
volume group "stuff_group" from physical volume(s)
vgscan -- "/etc/lvmtab" and "/etc/lvmtab.d" successfully created
vgscan -- WARNING: This program does not do a VGDA backup of your volume
group

[root at theone root]# vgchange -a n stuff_group
vgchange -- couldn't  open volume group "stuff_group" group special file
vgchange -- try vgmknodes

[root at theone root]# vgmnodes
-bash: vgmnodes: command not found
[root at theone root]# vgmknodes
vgmknodes -- no volume groups found to create nodes for

[root at theone root]# vgmknodes stuff_group
vgmknodes -- volume group "stuff_group" doesn't exist

[root at theone root]# vgremove stuff_group
vgremove -- volume group "stuff_group" doesn't exist

/kjetilhp