[linux-lvm] snapshots and reiserfs

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Sat Apr 10 08:28:32 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-04-09 at 02:18, Mark M. Hoffman wrote:

> kernel: reiserfs: checking transaction log (device 3a:06) ...
> kernel: clm-2076: device is readonly, unable to replay log
> kernel: Replay Failure, unable to mount
> kernel: reiserfs_read_super: unable to initialize journal space

I upgraded my kernel to one provided by the Fedora project ( fedora.us,
not fedora.redhat.com ). This seemed to sort out the problem.

> I have not tried the combination of snapshots & reiserfs with
> earlier RedHat packages so I don't know if this is a regression.

I used to get it on RH8, with both ext3 and reiserfs (though more
commonly with reiserfs). Syncing before taking the snapshot can help,
but the only real fix is a kernel patch that makes sure the disk buffers
are flushed to disk before the snapshot is taken.

> Also, is it necessary that the filesystem be quiescent in order to
> create a snapshot?  I could temporarily remount readonly to create
> the snapshot, but I would like not to have to do that.

That would probably work too, but the VFS lock patch /really/ should do
the trick.

Craig Ringer