[linux-lvm] OS (Debian Sarge) reinstall led to my lvm partitions being marked 82 "Linux swap!"

Mike Roark msroark at pobox.com
Wed Apr 21 05:29:55 UTC 2004

Hello,
    After having a failing boot drive on my storage box, I reinstalled
Debian sarge from scratch on a fresh drive. The box had two lvm (1.0)
volumes with some PEs for one of them on the failing disk, and the rest
on other disks. In the installer I tried to only have it partition the
new /dev/hda, and thought I was successful. However, once I got it up
and running and tried to get the second, still intact, lvm volume
working, I discovered that the partition type on all the other drives
had changed to Linux swap!

Here's a snippet of an fdisk -l on one of my partitions now:

                                Device Boot      Start         End
Blocks   Id  System
/dev/ide/host0/bus1/target0/lun0/part1               1       24792
199141708+  82  Linux swap

Here is what it looked like before the reinstall:

                                Device Boot      Start         End
Blocks   Id  System
/dev/ide/host0/bus1/target0/lun0/part1               1       24792
199141708+  8e  Linux LVM

Interestingly, pvdisplay seems to somehow be able to see that there is
lvm information on the drive:

biotron:~# pvdisplay /dev/hdc1
--- Physical volume ---
PV Name               /dev/ide/host0/bus1/target0/lun0/part1
VG Name               group_B
PV Size               189.92 GB [398283417 secs] / NOT usable 32.19 MB
[LVM: 151 KB]
PV#                   1
PV Status             NOT available
Allocatable           yes (but full)
Cur LV                1
PE Size (KByte)       32768
Total PE              6076
Free PE               0
Allocated PE          6076
PV UUID               6he4J4-lpim-BHJG-334y-41DJ-Jz1n-lfMGA1

However, none of the lvm *scan utilities will find it, including vgscan.
I'm assuming this is because of the partition type.

I'd welcome any suggestions about  whether or not it might be possible
to fix it. Even when the drive was failing I was still able to
successfully mount the intact lvm volume with no problem. It was only
after the reinstall of Sarge that I had problems getting to it.

I'm tempted to try changing the partition type using fdisk or cfdisk,
but I'd like to be certain that it will only change the partition type
and not touch anything else before I try it, so I'm appealing here first
for any lvm-ish wisdom that you can offer.

Unfortunately, the data on those drives was actually very precious (not
just mp3s and warez). The two lvm volumes were rsynced to each other and
were on separate disks and this was providing a simple measure of
redundancy, but the initial hard drive failure took out one volume
because there were PEs on the failed drive for it, and now this has
taken out the other, so I'm in dire straits.

                 Thanks for any help,
                         Mike Roark