[linux-lvm] SuSe 8 Enterprise version, LVM and Oracle

sterling at zixion.com sterling at zixion.com
Thu Apr 22 02:33:33 UTC 2004

> Hi,
>
> For a client I intend to install SuSe 8 and Oracle with LVM. Are there
> any known issues with LVM in this combination?
>
> Thanks in advance.

We have used SLES 8 and LVM for about a year now and it works great. We
recently upgraded to LVM2 due to a drive failure that took out an entire
400Gig spanned Volume Group. Ouch!

The VG was spanned across two 200Gig disks. The first disk failed and left the
entire VG unusable. LVM2 uses meta-data stores and allows you to mount an
incomplete VG ( one that is missing pv's ) to aid in recovering data.

LVM and SLES 8 have been great.

Sterling.