[linux-lvm] About Extending LVM size with Hardware Raid

Glen Harris glen at gbrmpa.gov.au
Thu Apr 22 05:08:35 UTC 2004

Clint Byrum wrote:
> Just curious, but what kind of rebuild time do you see on that 1.25TB
> RAID5 volume?

Adding a single 250Gb 5400RPM Maxtor disk to the 5-disk RAID5 took just
over 30 hours. For future disks, we'll be adding them in multiples - if
we can get pvresize working, of course. The box can take 12 disks.

We're willing to take the time penalty, and in return get more space, as
this box is a rsync server. The servers rsync to this box quickly overnight,
then it backs up to the tape library in the early morning/during the day.
This is a (relatively)cheap backup solution, and as such, doesn't need the
on-line resiliancy of the file or database servers.

For the file/IMAP/Oracle servers with their Sun SCSI FC raid box, we're
running several raids as needs grow and aggregating them with the metadisk
software.