[linux-lvm] LVM and hardware device re-ordering?

Don Buchholz buchholz at easystreet.com
Fri Apr 30 15:55:32 UTC 2004

I'm looking at implementing my first LVM system.  It looks
pretty straight-forward.  (Very similar to the LVM stuff I
saw in AIX v3.x and Veritas management Sun used to manage
SPARCStorage Arrays.)

The one nagging question in my mind is:

  How resilient is LVM to a sudden renumbering of
  physical hard disks?

Assume no disks have actually failed, just that a new disk
gets added and suddenly all the LVM drives get notched up
a drive letter.

For example,

 Before  After  SCSI ID*    description
 ------  -----  --------   --------------------------------
   sda    sda    0,0,0,0    operating system disk (HW RAID)
    --    sdb    0,0,1,0    new added disk (e.g. a CD drive)

   sdb    sdc    1,0,0,0    LVM PV#1
   sdc    sdd    1,0,0,1    LVM PV#2
   sdd    sde    1,0,0,2    LVM PV#3
  * The four numbers are:  (1) controller, (2) controller
   channel, (3) SCSI target, (4) SCSI LUN.

Can I just assume LVM will do the right thing, and my VG
created from the three physical volumes will be OK?

Thanks,
- Don Buchholz