[linux-lvm] free space for cluster use

Thomas Meller thomas.meller at gmx.net
Wed Aug 11 15:55:46 UTC 2004

Is there any free sector that can be used by a cluster to store it's last lifesign in case
of a partitioned network?

I once had such a situation with a normal filesystem which was nasty enough.

I plan to write a sektor via dd, containing a flag "in use" and a timestamp to be updated
each minute.
Is there any space left on a pv or a raid1 disk?

I do not expect anyone to support this solution. (Solutions which work don't need support)

I could also use some space behind the MBR instead, but that means to be forced to create
partitions for lvm or raid.

Regards,

Thomas

--
Thomas Meller
mailto: thomas.meller at t-systems.ch
mailto: thomas.meller at gmx.net
----
...Our continuing mission: To seek out knowledge of C, to explore strange
UNIX commands, and to boldly code where no man page has ever been seen