[linux-lvm] some issues with pvmove

Alasdair G Kergon agk at redhat.com
Thu Dec 9 20:43:34 UTC 2004

On Thu, Dec 09, 2004 at 02:13:03PM -0600, Aran Cox wrote:
> I've been working on lvmove, a frontend to pvmove that I've used in the
> past with LVM1 systems to re-organize the layout of logical volumes in a
> volume group.  I keep getting failures with pvmove that require
> restoring metadata from backup.

Try to get full diagnostics from the simplest case you can which
causes it to fail: turn on debug-to-file in lvm.conf:
    log {
        file="/tmp/lvm2.log"
        level=7
        activation=1
    }
then when it crashes, grab the current metadata
with vgcfgbackup [may need -P if it's corrupt]
(and check against /etc/lvm/backup/<vgname>)

[If machine hangs you'll may have to set activation=0
but that loses some of the debug info we want]

and dump the device-mapper status:
  dmsetup info -c
  dmsetup status
  dmsetup table