[linux-lvm] duplicate pv.

Alasdair G Kergon agk at redhat.com
Sun Dec 12 17:12:30 UTC 2004

On Sat, Dec 11, 2004 at 10:38:56PM +0000, Alasdair G Kergon wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 11, 2004 at 02:18:29PM +0100, Philipp Schmidt wrote:
> > look t your /etc/lvm/lvm.conf, have you set md_component_detection = 1?
> > i wonder why this isn't set by default, who needs to use md compnents as
> > singel pv?
> It *is* set to 1 by default i.e. if you don't specify
> a different value for it in the conf file.

I believe the Debian distribution may have set it to 0 at one point because
of problems in certain configurations: these cases should be fixed by 2.00.29.

Another cause of problems could be if people created a whole-disk PV
on a device that actually held a partition table - i.e. they
ignored the partition table, even though the kernel would still be using it.

>From 2.00.29, lvm2 tries to detect partitioned devices and stop you
using them directly as PVs unless you remove the partition table first.
(i.e. if it's partitioned, only the partitions can be PVs, not the whole
disk device)

Alasdair
agk at redhat.com