[linux-lvm] patch for separator option

Arvin Schnell arvin at suse.de
Mon Dec 20 11:41:35 UTC 2004

On Sat, Dec 18, 2004 at 08:32:08PM +0000, Alasdair G Kergon wrote:
> > > I realized that the -s/--short option for vgdisplay doesn't work
> > > in lvm 2.2.00.31 (but also older versions).  That's because the
> > > option --separator also gets the short option 's' in args.h.
>
> > It the patch ok and will it be included in lvm2?
>
> Not in that precise form:
> Need to check for all other existing conflicts, if any, and
> find a generic way to resolve them so 'vgs -s,' for
> example can hopefully still work.

Checking for conflicts is a good idea.

'-s' is never documented as a shortcut for '--separator', neither
in the help text nor in the man pages.  So 'vgs -s' does not have
to work.  I also don't think it's user-friendly if an option
e.g. '--separator' can be abbreviated by '-s' in only some lvm
tools.

ciao Arvin