[linux-lvm] Rebuilding physical volume metadata

Alasdair G Kergon agk at redhat.com
Fri Dec 31 15:22:35 UTC 2004

On Thu, Dec 30, 2004 at 11:23:22PM -0500, Sasha Z wrote:
> I had a healthly LVM four days ago, but came home to an LVM that no
> longer had an PV's, and a computer without an PV's listed.

What version of LVM2?  ('lvm version')

If it's above 2.00.25 then upgrade to 2.00.32.

Versions 2.00.26 to 2.00.31 are best avoided because of
problems recognising certain partitioning schemes correctly,
which can cause PVs to appear to disappear. [Can often work
around by changing lvm.conf.]

> So I had to recreate the physical volumes, and that went ok.

No - read the 'vgcfgrestore' man page for instructions.

Alasdair
agk at redhat.com