[linux-lvm] Re: Looking for the cause of poor I/O performance - a test script

Steven Ihde x-linux-raid at hamachi.dyndns.org
Tue Dec 28 00:13:39 UTC 2004

I found strange behavior with this script.  You may recall my setup
has a three disk RAID5, kernel 2.6.8, lvm2.

While I can achieve 80MB/s reading from /dev/md1 (my RAID5 device), I
can't get better than 60MB/s from any of the logical volumes which
exist on that array.  (/dev/md1 is the only PV in that VG.)
Furthermore, the readahead settings on /dev/md1 don't seem to make any
difference, only the readahead setting on /dev/vg0/lvol0 (for example)
matters.  This doesn't make any sense to me.  I didn't think LVM was
supposed to impose any significant overhead.

Is the LVM2/DM layer doing its own readahead through to the PV,
regardless of the settings I'm doing with blockdev --setra?

Finally, when trying to test throughput reading from an actual file on
a filesystem, I couldn't figure out how to flush the cache reliably.
"blockdev --flushbufs" works great when the test is reading straight
from the block device but has no effect when reading from a file on a
filesystem.  Any advice here?  A pointer to an up-to-date in-depth
description (for 2.6) of how the whole cache/buffer thing works would
be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

-Steve