[linux-lvm] Best practice for lvm on raid-5

Jens Hoffrichter joho at hausboot.org
Mon Feb 2 10:36:02 UTC 2004

Hi everyone,

I have a LVM vg on top of a softraid 5 consisting of 3 80 GB harddrives.

Currently I have /dev/md0 as my only physical volume, but this will lead
to problems if I am going to expand the raid 5 by adding another 80 GB
harddrive to (as pvresize is not implemented again yet, as I understand).

What is the best practice in this case? To add a partition table on top
of /dev/md0 (but how is it represented in the /dev filesystem) and only
add single partitions as pvs to the vg?

I'm happy for every suggestion :)

CU all,
Jens
--
GPG: 1024D/CF884D50  F2E8 F7FC F823 6464 4E9D  EFAB 6EE9 8B9C CF88 4D50
 Jens Hoffrichter / joho at hausboot.org / Joho at IRC / Fon: +43-650-5376989