[linux-lvm] advice sought on setting up new system

Joe Thornber thornber at redhat.com
Fri Feb 13 08:30:00 UTC 2004

On Wed, Feb 11, 2004 at 11:28:37PM +0200, Dale Gallagher wrote:
> PEs(0-100) for LV /dev/mapper/v0-var-qmail-queue
> PEs (101-1000) for LV /dev/mapper/v0-home-mail
>
> And then I find at a later stage that my queue is too
> small, so append PEs (1001-1100) to the original LV
> /dev/mapper/v0-var-qmail-queue.

The extent size should be chosen to be a convenient size for the
system administrator.  Typically 4-16M these days; it tends to get
bigger as hard disks grow.  So the extent size is going to be far too
large for you to worry about files being broken across extent
boundaries.  Think about the percentage of ios that will incur this
extra seek that you are concerned about.

- Joe