[linux-lvm] LVM retirement?

Dan Foster dsf at globalcrossing.net
Sat Feb 21 14:51:02 UTC 2004

I was discussing implementing LVM on upcoming Linux boxes with co-workers;
one said he was reluctant to consider LVM because he had heard somewhere
recently that LVM was to be dropped/retired soon, but couldn't remember
where (or from whom) he'd seen/heard that mention.

So, concerned, I dug around, and have not been able to find anything along
these lines... and figured it was best to ask people who would be able to
speak more authoritatively.

Is LVM about to be dropped or retired any time soon (next 18 months)? If
so, is there a replacement planned?

Obviously, if that was just FUD, then we have nothing to worry about.

I'm well aware of the benefits of a lvm, having run them on various
commercial UNIX boxes for the past 10+ years, so I'm hoping that there's
nothing to this unverified rumor. ;)

-Dan