[linux-lvm] Re: upgrade from kernel 2.4 to 2.6

Derrick 'dman' Hudson dman at dman13.dyndns.org
Tue Feb 24 08:11:15 UTC 2004

On Tue, Feb 24, 2004 at 08:26:03AM +0100, Luca Berra wrote:
| On Mon, Feb 23, 2004 at 10:16:33PM -0500, Derrick 'dman' Hudson wrote:
| >The FAQ doesn't mention this hurdle.  I found that upgrading from
| >kernel 2.4.23+lvm1 to 2.4.23+lvm2 is really quite trivial
| >(particularly with debian - I didn't have to do anything).  However,
| >the 2.6 kernel won't boot because lvm can't find any volume groups.
| >I've tried 2.6.0, 2.6.2 and most recently 2.6.3.  In each case, the
| >device mapper (dm-mod) is loaded and /dev/mapper/control exists
| >(I'm using devfsd).  What did I miss?
|
| logs.

Hmm.  How can I get logs?  /var is an lvm lv, and since lvm isn't
working nothing can be written to /var/log.  (/usr and /home are also
on lvm, so when I try booting 2.6 all I have is /)  The output I get
from running vgscan interactively is that no volume groups could be
found.  Likewise from pvscan and lvscan.  (if it would make a
difference, I can provide all the output, verbatim, later when I get
back to that machine's console)

-D

PS  Shame on me - I did forget to check /var/log/{messages,syslog} in
    the first place to see if they had any info.

--
If you want to know what God thinks about money,
just look at the people He gives it to.

www: http://dman13.dyndns.org/~dman/            jabber: dman at dman13.dyndns.org