[linux-lvm] setting VG UUID

Navindra Umanee navindra at cs.mcgill.ca
Thu Jan 8 16:35:01 UTC 2004

Alasdair G Kergon <agk at redhat.com> wrote:
> > So much for universal uniqueness...
> The VG UUIDs *are* meant to all be the same on devices that are part of the
> same VG.  It's the PV UUIDs that differ.

Oh, I realise that.  Just a small joke about my non-random choice of
UUID... :)

> > For the record, I created my LVM1 partitions with Linux Mandrake 9.2.
> Could /dev/urandom have been missing when pvcreate was run?
> We think that would explain the symptoms.

Good thought!  It's very possible since of course only a crippled
environment is available at install time.  I'll try to verify it
later.

> > Should "vgchange -a n" maybe clean up these symlinks?
> It's supposed to do.

Hmmm.  I've hacked my init scripts to do it in the meanwhile, but I
will pay closer attention to what happens next time I boot and report
back.

Happily, so far I don't see any reason to go back to Linux 2.4 though
and a quite a few reasons to stay in 2.6....

Cheers,
Navin.