[linux-lvm] which filesystem to use on slackware

Francis SOUYRI francis.souyri at wanadoo.fr
Mon Jan 12 14:08:02 UTC 2004

Hi Jens,

Jens Hoffrichter wrote:

>On Sat, Jan 10, 2004 at 11:01:19AM +0100, Francis SOUYRI wrote:
>

>>With Ext3 you can grow the filesystem offline and with a kernel patch
>>you can grow online,  you can not shrink.
>>

>This is not true. Using resize2fs you can grow and shrink the filesystem,
>but only offline. I'm not sure about the kernel-patch, but I'm certainly
>sure you can shrink at least offline. And using e2fsadm in conjunction

Excuse me  yes it is possible to shrink offline an ext2 filesystem.

For the online grow kernel patch there are informations at:

http://ext2resize.sourceforge.net/
or

For the merge of the patch in the 2.6 kernel there are informations at:

http://www.kernelnewbies.org/status/latest.html
or
http://kerneltrap.org/node/view/716

but I can not find the patch.

>with lvm is even more comfortable ;)) Although it had some issues with
>ext3, as sometimes a filesystem is reported unchecked even if you have run
>an e2fsck -f just right before. But adding a -f to resize2fs has always
>worked for me without any trouble at all.
>
>I chose ext3 2 1/2 years ago, when doing kernel development for my diploma
>thesis, and an occassional ooops or other crash happened almost regularily.
>And waiting for the filesystem check annoyed me after the 3rd time ;)
>
>The argument for ext3 at this moment was, that you can easily convert an
>ext2 filesystem to an ext3 filesystem using tune2fs -j (to add the journal),
>and even mount the ext3 filesystem as ext2, making it available even if
>you have no support for ext3 in your kernel (2 1/2 years ago quite important!)
>
>Ext3 has never failed me in this time, I had no failure of filesystem and
>the performance was also good, at least for my needs :)
>
>CU all,
>Jens

Best regards.

Francis