[linux-lvm] No Subject

trylinux trylinux at nc.rr.com
Wed Jan 14 18:23:11 UTC 2004

First things first. Is there a FAQ for this group?

Now then, I'm running Fedore Core/1 (Red Hat 9) with LVM 1.0.3-13 (or at
least RPM says it's 1.0.3). I have a single volume group containing a single
disk. While /boot is NOT in the volume group (for obvious reasons),
everything else, include / is. / is a ext3 filesystem.

I recently used vgrename to rename the volume group (from rootvol to rootvg
-- just a test to learn some more), and it seemed to succeed. I was able to
run afterwards with no problems. On the first reboot after this, though, my
system can no longer boot. Here's a rough transscription of what's going on:

...kernel booting/initializing...
LVM version 1.0.5+(22/07/2002) module loaded
Journalled Block Device driver loaded
Mounting /proc filesystem
Creating block devices
Scanning logical volumes
vgscan -- reading all physical volumes (this may take a while...)
vgscan -- found inactive volume group "rootvg"
vgscan -- "/etc/lvmtab" and "/etc/lvmtab.d" successfully created
vgscan -- WARNING: This program does not do a BGDA backup of your volume
group

Activating logical volumes
vgchange -- volume group "rootvg" successfully activated

Mounting root filesystem
mount: error 2 mounting ext3
pivotroot: pivot_root(/sysroot,/sysroot/initrt) failed: 2
umount /initrd/proc failed: 2
Freeing unused kernel memory: 136k freed
Kernel panic: No init found. Try passing init= option to kernel.

I'd be happy to provide more info if it would help anyone. (grub.conf,
fstab,
etc.)

Cheers,
Rob