[linux-lvm] Re: mac-fdisk and 0x8e partitions for LVM

Leandro Guimarães Faria Corcete Dutra ldutra at prefeitura.sp.gov.br
Thu Jan 15 17:05:18 UTC 2004

Em Qui, 2004-01-15 às 12:59, Michael Schmitz escreveu:
> > 	Yes, it is a beige Apple Power Macintosh G3 which does need BootX.
>
> So you do indeed need to keep the original partition format. Without Apple
> partition support in LVM, you could always try a sick hack: Add a PC style
> partition table to the disk (they can, in fact, coexist, that's how dual
> PC/Mac zip media are done). Make sure the partition maps match exactly,
> and use the 0x8e partition type in the PC style table. AFAIR the kernel
> does first probe for PC style partition tables, so it should work both
> ways.

	Pointers to how to do this?  Meaning, how to have both Mac and PC
tables without each stepping on the other's toes?

> This hack is not for the faint of heart, and I cannot stress enough that
> you need to have a backup of your partition maps (the first few sectors of
> the disk), as well as a method to restore the maps (booting from floppy,
> or some such, with another floppy holding the backup) before even
> considering such a hack. If the above doesn't make sense to you, please do
> not attempt to force it.

	It does make sense, but not in the sense of actually knowing how to do
it!  ;-)

	In other words, gimme references (URLs, HOWTOs etc) and I'll try.

	Thanks for the help!

--
Leandro Guimarães Faria Corcete Dutra <ldutra at prefeitura.sp.gov.br>
Prefeitura do Município de São Paulo