[linux-lvm] lvm on initrd

Luca Berra bluca at comedia.it
Mon Jan 26 16:55:01 UTC 2004

On Sun, Jan 25, 2004 at 09:10:07PM +0100, Arkadiusz Miskiewicz wrote:
>Unfortunately this doesn't give any significant size drop:
>lvm staticly linked with uClibc and device-mapper lib with all features
>-rwxr-xr-x    1 misiek   users      555815 2004-01-25 21:05 initrd-lvm
>lvm staticly linked with uClibc and device-mapper lib using my patch above (so
>only vgscan and vgchange functions available)
>-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root       482428 2004-01-25 20:51 initrd-lvm
>
>How these sizes look with dietlibc?

-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root 308180 Jan 23 22:14 /sbin/lvm2-static*

Which is still very big, but reducing it will take significantly more
work.

>Also some problems with lvm way of checking what command user wants based on
>argv[0] came out:
>[root at arm misiek]# /sbin/initrd-lvm
>  No such command.  Try 'help'.
>It would be much better if when argv[0] is not known internally for lvm then
>work as argv[0] = lvm.

unfortunately it seems done the other way around in lvm.c
i found it easier to add possible aliases for lvm in there
http://www.comedia.it/~bluca/cooker/lvm2/lvm2-2.00.08-7mdk/lvm2-alternatives.patch.bz2

Luca Berra -- bluca at comedia.it
        Communication Media & Services S.r.l.
 /"\