[linux-lvm] mounting snapshot errors

R Dicaire rdicaire at kritek.net
Wed Jan 28 02:30:02 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-01-27 at 21:53, Little, Chris wrote:
> is the filesystem you are snapshotting still mounted when you execute the
> snapshot?  They need to be offline before the snapshot takes place.

Yes, they are still mounted when I take a snapshot, I must have missed that
in the docs, that in itself poses a problem as I then cant umount the volumes
without killing services. I'd understood the snapshotting process as being
able to snapshot a live filesystem, and then mount the snapshot to perform
backups from it instead of the live filesystem. Whats the purpose of the
--size arg to lvcreate when taking a snapshot, I thought it was a buffer
to hold data that'd normally be written to disk but cant when the
snapshot exists? I'm confused.