[linux-lvm] mounting snapshot errors

Chris Beck cbeck at gene.concordia.ca
Wed Jan 28 13:23:07 UTC 2004

Yah, I saw some stuff about this in the LVM-HOWTO:

http://tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO/snapshots_backup.html

| If the snapshot is of an XFS filesystem, the xfs_freeze command should
be used to quiesce the filesystem before creating the snapshot. (if the
filesystem is mounted) |

|# xfs_freeze -f /mnt/point; lvcreate -L592M -s -n dbbackup /dev/ops/databases; xfs_freeze -u /mnt/point

If you are using XFS as the filesystem you will need to add the nouuid option to the mount command:

# mount /dev/ops/dbbackup /mnt/ops/dbbackup -onouuid,ro

Previously, the norecovery option was suggested to allow the mounting of XFS snapshots.
It has been recommended not to use this option, but to instead use xfs_freeze to quiesce the filesystem before creating the snapshot.

cheers,
chris

It is whispered that Greg Freemyer was heard, on or about 1/28/2004
12:34 PM to say:

--
Chris Beck / Y.A.B.A. / Fungal Genomics
CFSG / Concordia University