[linux-lvm] LVM Snapshots for remote archiving.

Greg Freemyer freemyer-ml at NorcrossGroup.com
Thu Jan 29 11:52:02 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-01-28 at 14:04, Chris Beck wrote:

> >I don't think that is a trivial issue, and I think the code would have
> >to implemented in the kernel.
> >

> Why the kernel? ... surely reading the flag tables could be done in user
> space?  I think you have the necessary logic spot on.

I don't think the COW flag table is accessible from userspace, but I
could be wrong.

FYI: I am a LVM user, not a developer.

> >New code would also have to be developed to apply the above blocks.
> >

> Hmmm.  I can mess around in perl and java as well as the next guy, but
> my c-fu is weak, very weak.  How much would it cost to sponsor someone
> to do this do you think?

I don't have any idea.  If your serious, I would recommend doing it with
LVM 2 (requires DM in the kernel), since DM is part of 2.6.x vanilla and
2.6.x will not likely ever support LVM 1.x.

In that case, I would post on the dm-devel list.  There seem to be a few
non-Sistina people that are very knowledgable and post regularily.

FYI: Since Sistina is in the process of being bought by Redhat, I doubt
they would consider a new project (or sub-project) right now.

HTH
Greg
--
Greg Freemyer