[linux-lvm] Hardware Raid - LVM the way to go?

Michael Bellears MBellears at staff.datafx.com.au
Fri Jul 2 23:21:03 UTC 2004

We have a new Compaq server, with a Raid Controller capable of handling
12 SCSI HD's - We currently only have 5 (In Raid 5)

We want to be able to "grow" the data partition as need dictates(i.e.
Add new HD's, grow the Raid 5 array, and data partition) - LVM looks the
way to go.

My *usual* partitioning scheme, is:

/dev/cciss/c0d0p1 /boot (100M)
/dev/cciss/c0d0p2 / (all of the disk not used by /boot and swap.)
/dev/cciss/c0d0p5 /swap (~1G)

I'm installing via Debian-Installer(Beta-4) - Which gives LVM
options...Would I create all my partitions as per my "normal" setup, but
mark them as LVM?

Hopefully someone out there has a similar setup and can provide some
suggestions/best pratices?

Regards,
MB