[linux-lvm] How to rename a VG that contains the root?

d3yuen at artsmail.uwaterloo.ca d3yuen at artsmail.uwaterloo.ca
Wed Jul 21 16:08:59 UTC 2004

Hello!

I'd like to change the name of a volume group that contains the root
partition.  I spent some time searching on google for some notes that ,
but to no avail.  So i looked at the man page for vgrename and renamed my
volume group.  I changed entries in both fstab and grub.conf, but now the
machine wouldn't boot. The machine boots to a point and then i see this
error message:

Freeing unused kernel memory:
Kernel panic: No init found.  Try passing init= option to kernel.

I suspect that i need to reinstall (reload?) the boot loader (i use grub),
but i don't remember how to do that too..

I'm a bit lost -- could someone tell me what is the proper procedure to
change the name of a volume group, please?

What should i keep in mind if i needed to change the name of a volume
group that contains root?

Any suggestions is very greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much,
/dky