[linux-lvm] Change PV size?

Michael Bellears MBellears at staff.datafx.com.au
Tue Jul 27 05:21:50 UTC 2004

We have a Hardware Raid 5, with one partition being LVM.

c0d0p1         Boot            Primary      Linux ReiserFS
98.71
c0d0p5                         Logical      Linux ReiserFS
10001.95
c0d0p6                         Logical      Linux LVM
429302.04

dfx-nas-01:~# pvdisplay /dev/cciss/c0d0p6
--- Physical volume ---
PV Name               /dev/cciss/c0d0p6
VG Name               nasvg
PV Size               399.82 GB [838480482 secs] / NOT usable 32.19 MB
[LVM: 177 KB]
PV#                   1
PV Status             available
Allocatable           yes
Cur LV                6
PE Size (KByte)       32768
Total PE              12793
Free PE               2649
Allocated PE          10144
PV UUID               AY5IUI-0wto-lQpS-AoKb-SpQZ-ku3p-51nvIY

We will be adding additional physical disks to the Raid array as need
dictates - How would I go about making this new free space "available"
for use in the PV?

- Turn off server, add new HD's, boot into HP Top Tools and add the new
drives to the array (Giving additional space).
- cfdisk(or fdisk), delete the data partition(Making note of the
starting cylinder), then recreate the data partition with the same
starting cylinder, but incorporate the new free space.
- pvresize? (I do not seem to have this utility?)
- xfs_growfs

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
MB