[linux-lvm] LVM2 seems to chop performance by 33%

Clint Byrum cbyrum at spamaps.org
Thu Jun 10 16:30:29 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-06-10 at 08:34, David Greaves wrote:
> Thanks
>
> I'd tried that, but no real change. I started 1t 128k and also tried
> 64k, 256k :) (oh, and 1k)

I did some tests a few months ago with bonnie++.. might offer some
encouragement (please don't post this to slashdot.. ;)

http://spamaps.org/raidtests.php

There's a lot of data there, but if you look at the LVM stuff, you might
notice that the concurrent performance (having 3 processes hammering the
disks in different places instead of just one) was quite good when
compared to flat out RAID5. I'll pay 5% performance for manageability
any day. :-D