[linux-lvm] snapshot failes with kcopyd error

Joe Thornber thornber at redhat.com
Tue Mar 2 04:07:01 UTC 2004

On Mon, Mar 01, 2004 at 06:57:12AM +0100, Axel Reinhold wrote:

> Hello,
>
> i'm working with Linux 2.4.25/device-mapper: 4.0.5-ioctl and from
> time to time on creating snapshots i get:
>
> device-mapper: Could not create kcopyd client
> device-mapper: error adding target to table
>
> after that the system sometimes hangs completely.
> Is there any resource low? I use snapshots intensively
> and let them stay for long times.

Yes, this is a bit of a mess.  Snapshot creation can fail due to our
use of PF_MEMALLOC, which can't be removed until the tools are updated
to preload tables.  I also think the tools aren't backing out
properly, resulting in your hang.  Your best bet for now is to try and
use dmsetup to unpick the mess whenever it happens.  Sorry this sucks.

- Joe