Re : [linux-lvm] Adding xfs module to the initrd-lvm

Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh) jean-luc.coulon at wanadoo.fr
Wed Mar 3 03:56:07 UTC 2004

Tank you patrick and Ken for the answers,

Here is what I dit.
I've moved my root filesystemen (logical volume) to xfs and compiled a
couple of kernels, il was a bit long, my machine is not so fast. The
first one with xfs hard coded and the second with xfs as a module
applying the recipe given by Ken: I have built the normal initrd with
lvmcreate_initrd, then mounted/edited/copied it and have the following
result:

With XFS hardcoded, everything went fine and the system is running
fine.

With XFS as a module it isnot the case, even if the system load the
modole at boot, I get a kernel panic. Here are the messages I wriiten
down by hand ( :-O ):

/------------------
|... snipped ..
| RAMDISK: Compressed image found at block 0
| Freeing initrd memory: 1532k freed
| VFS: Mounter root (ext2 filesystem)
| LVM version 1.0.8 (17/11/2003à module loaded
| SGI XFS with no debug enabled                 <-- was happy  ;-)
| SGI: XFS Quota Management subsystem
| vgscan -- reading all physical volumes (this may take a while)
| vgscan -- found inactive volume group "v00"
| vscan -- ERROR 28 writing volume group backup file
|        /etc/lvmtab.d/vg00.tmp in vg-cfgbackup.c [line 273]
| vgscan -- ERROR: unable to do  backup of volume group "vg003
| vgscan -- ERROR: "lvm_tab_vg_removed": ulink "removing volume group
|         "vg00" and "/etc/lvmtab.d"  succesfully created
| vgscan -- WARNING: This program doesnt do a VGA backup of your
|          volume group
| vgchang  -- no volume roup found
| VFS. Cannot open root device "3a02" or 3a:02
| Please append a corret "root=" boot option
|Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 3a:02

End of story.
It seems to find and load my xfs module but then there is a vgscan
problem. As it work fine with xfs hard coded, I don't really *need* it
as a module but I would like to know where is the problem

--
Regards
			- Jean-Luc