[linux-lvm] lvm2 vgchange -a n problem

Michael Ossmann mike at ossmann.com
Fri Mar 5 18:58:01 UTC 2004

I'm using lvm2 with linux 2.6.4-rc1.  When I try to
deactivate lvm with 'vgchange -a n' it always tells me:

  LV vgfoo/lvbar in use: not removing

even when the lv is not mounted at all.  So I try to
'lvchange -a n' the lv, but it tells me the same thing.

My workaround is to do 'dmsetup remove vgfoo-lvbar' for each
lv prior to deactivation.  Then 'vgchange -a n' and
'lvchange -a n' work.  My shutdown script includes:

  for lv in $(lvs --noheadings | awk '{print $2 "-" $1}'); do
    dmsetup remove $lv
  done
  /sbin/vgchange -a n

Is this how I'm supposed to do this?  Am I missing
something?

Thanks,

mossmann