[linux-lvm] unknown ioctl problems

Simeon Walker simeon at sbs.bangor.ac.uk
Wed Mar 10 06:27:03 UTC 2004

Jason Parker-Burlingham wrote:

>I'm running LVM (version 1 with 1.0.7 tools) on a 2.4 system
>(2.4.24-pre1, recently upgraded to 2.4.25-pre4).  When the initrd
>boots (/ is an LVM filesystem, /boot is a standard block device) I see
>
>   lvm -- lvm_blk_ioctl: unknown cmd 0x5310
>
>which I guess is something to do with mounting the ramdisk.
>
>But at other times I have noticed that the machine will lock up; I'm
>not sure if it's a hardware problem but lately it seems to be related
>to disk activity.  I turned off screen blanking before the most recent
>crash and saw no kernel oops, but a couple of repetitions of
>
>   lvm -- lvm_blk_ioctl: unknown cmd 0x801c6d02
>
>Is it possible that this is some sort of reasonable ioctl?  Is it
>possible that this is what's crashing the machine?  How can I find out
>what the system is trying do (and maybe even why)?  I don't see any
>reports of exactly this problem through google, so I'm pretty lost.
>
>jason

I have just seen your latter problem. I am running Debian unstable (as
of late Feb) and building Kernel 2.4.24. I use debian's make-kpg, when
doing dpkg -i I get the above error. Because I had not yet installed the
matching modules package (for i2c) I get some unresolved symbols. The
lockup seems to occur during or just after the depmod. I'm still looking
into it...

Sim

Simeon Walker,                      email: simeon at sbs.bangor.ac.uk
School of Biological Sciences,      phone: +44 (0)1248 383702
University of Wales, Bangor,        fax: +44 (0)1248 382569
Gwynedd, LL57 2UW, UK.              www: http://biology.bangor.ac.uk/