[linux-lvm] LVM Problems when moving data off a PV

Nick Gushlow nick at gushlow.com
Tue Mar 16 23:04:09 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-03-15 at 12:34, Heinz Mauelshagen wrote:

> You need to select the last valid metadata backup of vg2 from /etc/lvmconf
> (check it with vgcfgrestore -ll -f /etc/lvmconf/vg2.conf[.#.old]; see
> 'man vgcfgrestore for metadata archive file names) and restore it.
>
> Say vg.conf.1.old is the valid one:
>
> for dev in AllPVsOfVG2 # list all PVs reported by vgcfgrestore -ll above
> do
> 	pvcreate -ff $dev
> 	vgcfgrestore -f /etc/lvmconf/vg.conf.1.old $dev
> done
> vgscan
> vgchange -ay vg2

That did the trick thanks. :-)

Of course in a moment of not concentrating I messed things up again.  I
still had pvremove on the disk from when I previously installed the lvm2
tools, and although I wanted to do a vgreduce I did a pvremove.  Even
when it kicked up an error I just followed what it said and typed
pvremove -ff. oops :-/

Now I get a a similar error as before with vgscan, and other tools give
a 'VGDA in kernel and lvmtab are NTO consistent: please run vgscan'
error.

I tried re-running what you suggested above but vgcfgrestore gives a
'can't restore part of active volume group "vg2"' error.

Is there anyway to recover from my stupidity (other than a lobotomy!)?