[linux-lvm] Lost 2 disks in a hour

chris laycock the.brain at mad.scientist.com
Fri Mar 19 22:25:58 UTC 2004

Looking for some advice.

Lost 2 disks from a Redhat 9 system, 1 from a 3 disk VG, no stripping and the other the system disk.
I've rebuilt the system and I now want to recover the surviving 2 disks.

A pvscan gives the following result:

pvscan -- reading all physical volumes (this may take a while...)
pvscan -- inactive PV "/dev/sda1"  is associated to unknown VG "datavg" (run vgscan)
pvscan -- inactive PV "/dev/hdc1"  is associated to unknown VG "datavg" (run vgscan)
pvscan -- total: 2 [45.75 GB] / in use: 2 [45.75 GB] / in no VG: 0 [0]

and vgscan:

vgscan -- reading all physical volumes (this may take a while...)
vgscan -- ERROR "vg_read_with_pv_and_lv(): current PV" can't get data of volume group "datavg" from physical volume(s)
vgscan -- "/etc/lvmtab" and "/etc/lvmtab.d" successfully created
vgscan -- WARNING: This program does not do a VGDA backup of your volume group

I realise that I need to re-create the datavg but having lost the root partition I am unsure how to go about it without loosing any more data......

Thanks in advance

Regards,

Chris.