[linux-lvm] HD failed, how to recover ?

Perplexer perplexer at thz.net
Mon Mar 29 21:02:57 UTC 2004

LVM driver LVM version 1.0.5+(22/07/2002)
Debian Linux 2.4.22

I have a VG called 'vgmu' consisting of 5 drives and containing a LV called 'mu'
taking up the whole VG. (/dev/vgmu/mu)

Now one of those 5 drives (hdc) failed and after I powered the box down, removed the
bad drive and powered back up, I got this after running vgscan:

vgscan -- reading all physical volumes (this may take a while...)
vgscan -- ERROR "vg_read_with_pv_and_lv(): current PV" can't get data of volume group "vgmu" from physical volume(s)
vgscan -- "/etc/lvmtab" and "/etc/lvmtab.d" successfully created
vgscan -- WARNING: This program does not do a VGDA backup of your volume groups

And pvscan gives me this:
(hdc is now the previous hdd drive - it changed letters)

pvscan -- reading all physical volumes (this may take a while...)
pvscan -- inactive PV "/dev/sda1"  is associated to unknown VG "vgmu" (run vgscan)
pvscan -- inactive PV "/dev/hde1"  is associated to unknown VG "vgmu" (run vgscan)
pvscan -- inactive PV "/dev/hdc1"  is associated to unknown VG "vgmu" (run vgscan)
pvscan -- inactive PV "/dev/hdb1"  is associated to unknown VG "vgmu" (run vgscan)

Can I restore and reactivate this volume group (although now smaller) to run without
the failed drive ? What can I do ?

Thanks in advance.

---------
Perplexer