[linux-lvm] Can't seem to make pvmove do the work

Erik Ch. Ohrnberger Erik at echohome.org
Fri May 14 18:39:46 UTC 2004

It's strange.  I need to reduce a disk, either hdg or hdh from the volume
group.

I've already gone and reduced the allocated size using e2fsadm to change
free file system space into free pv allocations.  Here is what vgdisplay -v
says:

--- Physical volumes ---
PV Name (#)           /dev/hdg1 (4)
PV Status             available / allocatable
Total PE / Free PE    9814 / 0

PV Name (#)           /dev/hdh1 (3)
PV Status             available / allocatable
Total PE / Free PE    9815 / 880

PV Name (#)           /dev/hde1 (2)
PV Status             available / allocatable
Total PE / Free PE    19078 / 8347

PV Name (#)           /dev/hdf1 (6)
PV Status             available / allocatable
Total PE / Free PE    19078 / 5365

Now, I perform the following pvmove command:

Pvmove /dev/hdg1

And it says that there are insufficient free/allocatable physical extents.

But if I look at the list, the 9814 pvs on hdg1 should be across hdh1, hde1
and hdf1.

Have I got this correct?  Is there perhaps a step that I'm missing?  If I
am, do please let me know.

	Thanks,
		Erik.