[linux-lvm] snapshot with 2.6.5 kernel

Karen Shaeffer shaeffer at neuralscape.com
Sun May 16 21:45:01 UTC 2004

On Tue, May 11, 2004 at 01:13:22PM +0200, Heinz Mauelshagen wrote:
> On Sun, May 02, 2004 at 11:42:05PM -0700, Karen Shaeffer wrote:
> >
> > was in the process of inflating its contents continues for a while,
> > but finally just crashes and hangs at some point.
> >
> > Am I missunderstanding how to use snapshot here? Or is this just
> > severly broken software? Any advise is appreciated.
>

> You should be able to create a snapshot fine in ythat situation, even though
> the creation will happen slow under load.
>
> Can you repeat the case ?
> Do you have an oops ? If so, please provide the ksymoops output
> for further analysis of the problem.

Hello Heinz,

Sorry for the delay in responding, but I am very busy.

Yes, the problem is repeatable. The hardware included an external
RAID array that was accessed with the LSI fibre channel HBA, which
I believe is known to be buggy. So, I have removed this hardware
from my test lab and will be conducting additional testing. I will
provide full details, if I encounter additional problems.

BTW, can you please advise me of the time frame for progress with
LVM2 and the 2.6.x kernel. Is a patchset planned to support the
2.6.6 kernel with respect to snapshot?

Also, can you comment on the evms alternative. It seems they already
have a release supporting the 2.6.6 kernel. My understanding is that
this latest evms release is production ready. Can you discuss LVM2's
status in comparison?

Thanks,
Karen
--