[linux-lvm] /boot on lvm?

Dan Merillat dmerillat at sequiam.com
Mon May 17 05:13:50 UTC 2004

On Sun, 16 May 2004, Michael wrote:

> >I run everything on LVM except for /boot, primarily because I use GRUB
> >as a bootloader and it doesn't understand LVM volumes. As long as your
> >bootloader understands LVM volumes there should be no problem with it.
> >

> I use Lilo. Does Lilo understand LVM volumes?

Yes, but to put / on LVM you need to use initrd.  You also probably want
to force the minor number of <VG>/root to something fixed, since the
kernel isn't mounting by name at that point.

I built an initrd with busybox, LVM, megaraid and bash.  Great for
diagnosing problems.

(Recent LILO has a bug with device-mapper.  Either downgrade or upgrade
to the latest, or follow the debian bugtracking on it)

--Dan