[linux-lvm] /boot on lvm?

Harri Haataja harri.haataja at smilehouse.com
Mon May 31 11:03:27 UTC 2004

On Wed, May 26, 2004 at 10:53:15PM +0200, Luca Berra wrote:
> On Wed, May 26, 2004 at 06:31:18PM +0300, Harri Haataja wrote:
> >Doesn't HP-UX have a setup where you have /stand (IIRC) which will
> >always reside in the same place and should always boot etc and
> >everything else on LVM? I think there was a scheme like that. With
> not exactly (i am not going to dive into details since i don't think
> it is relevant to the list) but hp-ux is designed for hp-9000
> hardware, while linux is designed to support a much broader range of
> hardware (including shitty hardware like the PC)

Indeed. That tends to come up. But there are ways to go around those. I
think some people are looking for neater ways that don't have to work
everywhere, but can be made to work somewhere.

I was just adding(?) to the speculation.

> >Linux, /boot and initrd's could be arranged like that. That is what root
> How is that different from what we already have now using lilo and an
> lvm aware initrd? except that we don't have any constraint on placing
> the kernel and initrd (except for hardware limitation of said shitty
> platform)

It probably isn't. Only not everyone seems to be using initrd's. The
latter paragraph was probably just stating the obvious.

If there was something I set out to say in that message, maybe it was:
Would there be a way to arrange kernel and initrd into a position where
the bootloader (including especially grub) can find it without using a
specific partition for it? Then, for example, you could raid1 two whole
disks, mark the md device as a pv and install a system on volumes there.