[linux-lvm] device mapper Q

Dieter Stueken stueken at conterra.de
Fri Nov 19 19:33:19 UTC 2004

maybe this is more dm related than LVM2, but I could not
finger out where to find more info/help....

after I turned to LVM2, I noticed, that the VG-specific
subdirectory below /dev/<VG>/<LV> now contains symlinks
to /dev/mapper/<VG>-<LV> devices.

Those devices also appear as /dev/dm-<N> again.

Q: who creates those links? For any reason I'm missing
one of these link. Should I create it by hand?

If mounting an LV, which path should I prefer?

I used to use EXT2 labels and entered the LVs to
the /etc/fstab using LABEL=<NAME>. With LVM2/DM the
kernel now locates them as /dev/dm_<N> instead of
/dev/<VG>/<LV>. Does it matter?

Is there any more DM background information around besides
http://sources.redhat.com/dm/, or do I have to analyze
the C-code to learn more about it?

Dieter.
--