[linux-lvm] HA Fileserver configuration recommendation sought.

Dan Stromberg strombrg at dcs.nac.uci.edu
Sat Nov 20 01:40:51 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-11-19 at 16:33 -0800, David S. wrote:
> > Does PVFS2 have posix semantics these days?
>
> It has a kernel interface, so it supports the familiar open(2), lseek(2),
> read(2), write(2), ... calls.  It doesn't provide POSIX semantics.

What's different then?  Are stat and friends still there and non-
neutered?  Or are we talking more along the lines of just minor things
(to my current application) like sync/fsync differences?

> > My understanding is that IBM will only support GPFS on IBM hardware...
> >

> Our SAN is from IBM, and our servers and most of our clients are
> IBM-branded commodity x86 hardware.  IBM will support GPFS on non-IBM
> commodity hardware if you pay it enough.  But you'd have to really
> enjoy pain to pay for GPFS.

Why is GPFS painful?  Do you have an order-of-magnitude guesstimate of
how much you'd have to pay IBM to support GPFS on non-IBM hardware?

Thanks!